- About us
Among our achievements in 2007 - 2010 have been :
- the inclusion of deaths in custody in the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007;
- work on the restraint-related deaths of Gareth Myatt and Adam Rickwood which generated widespread public and parliamentary concern over the deaths of children in detention;
- jointly winning the Liberty/JUSTICE Human Rights Award;
- the re-launch of the highly regarded journal Inquest Law magazine;
- publication of Unlocking the Truth, outlining families’ experiences of the investigation of deaths in custody, and of Dying on the Inside, documenting women’s deaths in prison;
- campaigning successfully for the removal of proposals for ‘secret’ inquests – to be held without juries and with government-approved coroners and lawyers – from the Counter Terrorism Act 2008 and then the same proposals from the Coroners & Justice Act 2009 .
Our priorities for 2011 include:
- continued delivery of our award-winning Advice & casework service;
- campaigning for Reform of the inquest system and ensuring greater rights for families in the Coroners & Justice Act 2009;
- developing work on INQUEST’s proposal for a Standing Commission on Custodial Deaths;
- conducting policy work on the issues raised by BAME deaths in custody.