- » Media
- » Latest news
- » Schedule 5 report to prevent future deaths following Mark Duggan inquest is published
Schedule 5 report to prevent future deaths following Mark Duggan inquest is published
4 June 2014
The Schedule 5 report following the inquest into the police shooting of Mark Duggan has been published by the Chief Coroner. Otherwise known as a Report to Prevent Future Deaths the report, drafted by the Coroner for the inquest, HH Judge Keith Cutler, contains outlines a series of concerns relating to the planning and aftermath of the shooting including:
(1) the planning of the operation that led to Mark Duggan's death;
(2) the taking of witness statements in the aftermath of the shooting;
(3) resources available to the IPCC to conduct a thorough investigation and the preservation of evidence;
(4) the absence of a video recording of the scene of the shooting;
(5) the failure by police to pursue the operation to seize weapons following the shooting;
(6) the fact that the armed police operation was not recorded;
(7) the lack of an agreed protocol between the IPCC, the Crown Prosecution Service, the Association of Chief Police Officers and the Chief Coroner; and
(8) restrictions on access to intelligence.
INQUEST welcomes the publication of the report as an important element in the move towards greater transparency of the investigation and inquest process. The impact of the report will, however, be measured in the action taken in light of the highlighted concerns.
The full report is available here.
‘You have clearly made yourselves a force to be reckoned with, a powerful instrument for good. In the process you have not only achieved real change in an aspect of our common life which would have commanded little attention or esteem were it not for your efforts, but you have at the same time offered enormous support to those bereaved people who long for a clear verdict on the death in custody of someone who means a great deal to them.’
– Dr Peter Selby, President of the National Council for Independent Monitoring Boards